Saturday, November 27, 2021

I'll Think About It... How to Procrastinate

 Isn’t it great to sleep on a project, and find the inspiration to finish the problem the next day? In this defense of procrastination, I do not encourage finishing work under an adrenaline rush, or fear of failure; but through the synthesis of information after mulling through it in one’s head in a state of reflection.

At the beginning of this year, I knew that I would be refocusing my blog into the topic of engineering.  I even got an internet domain name. The “study skills” posts of the past two months were an advance party for writing in a new genre: any engineering blog worth its salt needs to talk about the Professional Engineering exam. Then it dawned on me: How much remarkable content could I produce? How many State Board meetings would I need to sit in, to capture good soundbites? How could I be regarded as an authority, when I am still early in my career? Weekly posts on monthlong projects might sound like project status updates. But as I attended the needs of graduate school, and now for Professional Engineering licensure, I let the concept sit; and simmer into good stew.

An older idea I had was to develop a central listserv of continuing education opportunities in the marine engineering field. Today, each ‘school’ maintains its own course catalog of regulatorily- equivalent education.  Since it would not be a blog, per se, I set the idea aside. Now, I revisited why I warmed to this training directory idea in the first place: to share useful knowledge in the marine engineering field. So, in early 2022, after some more planning, I expect to move my blog into that specialized direction. Such clarity of intention took a year to develop; I’m glad I procrastinated.    

No comments: