Sunday, June 18, 2023

Run Times: Last Month Ashore

In contrast with union-hall hiring, Military Sealift Command mariners, like other salaried mariners, can be assigned to any ship in the fleet. While I have been working in and out of Norfolk, VA since January, where I have a home, this arrangement is unlikely to continue. After all, with the Pacific Pivot, there's a 60% chance that I go to a Western Pacific Ship, in addition to the probability of landing a ship based in the Persian Gulf. What needs to be done? Since travel to the ship can be short-notice, I have a checklist of standard tasks: place valuables in a safe deposit box, park thr car in long-term storage, and forward the mail. Having time in homeport has allowed me to have "capital maintenance" performed on my home. I am currently arranging for repointing my brick foundation; this was a task I did not complete immediately after purchasing my fixer-upper. I've also made my backyard more evening-habitable with a new firepit and light string. Navy Reserve duty comes up annually. This year, I helped activate a ship from the ready reserve fleet, taking it to sea for a week. We also have a medical check-up, which I completed in Washington, DC; and a physical fitness test that I did in Chattanooga, TN. After a long drive, the car likes an oul change and tune-up. Having spent much of the last ten years at sea of overseas, I also find it good practice to refresh friendships with gatherings and visits.

No comments: