Monday, July 10, 2023

Fitting the Mold

I came across the upcoming contract for Military Sealift Command's internal ship inspection contract. For once, I felt that an opportunity presented itself up my channel. When I was working in thr office (2019-2022), these ship inspections were a big topic. The civil service engineers felt that travelling to remote locations, to verify the ship's fitness to sail, was not part of their job description. A minority, including myself, felt otherwise. So did my predecessor in my own cubicle; I have good confidnece that he will be best suited to win the $20 million, 5-year contract. This feels like the adjacent possible, and not the first time I made an effort to fit into expectations. About two years ago, I reviewed what it would take to become a maritime program manager. A professional engineer's license, a master's degree, management experience with an USCG-issued Chief Engineer's License. So I took the effort to put myself in line for the Chief's license by goinng back to sea. I hope to obtain it this summer. I feel like I have made it through the wilderness of my '20s.

No comments: